Excellence has been specialising in Loft Conversions, Loft Designs & Construction for over 25 years.
What do you do when you need extra space in your home? The answer could well be upstairs. Lofts can be used as repositories for things you don’t use or need, such as clothes you’ve outgrown and the kids’ old toys. Put that space to far better use with a loft conversion! Converting your loft can be the ideal way of gaining an extra room, and maybe a second bathroom as well. We’ve acquired years of experience building loft conversions for clients in Weston-Super-Mare, Bristol, and all over Somerset, creating rooms that meet their needs and make the most of the space available.
Are you worried that building works will go on for weeks? Don’t worry. Once work commences on your loft, it will typically take as little as 5-6 weeks before work is approved by the local authority and you can begin furnishing your room. And you’ll be surprised at how little disruption there will be to your home while building is in progress; most materials will actually be taken up via the scaffolding, and the stairs to your new room will be made at our joiner’s workshop, not on site. So you’ll be able to carry on as normal while your loft conversion is carried out.
Loft conversions are the ideal way to add an extra room without sacrificing outdoor space. You may not even need planning permission! But if it is necessary, we’ll take care of everything for you. And if you’d like to view other conversions we’ve carried out before you commit yourself, you are welcome to do so. Before long, you’ll have that master bedroom, guest room or office that you’ve always wanted. And the bonus is that adding that extra room nearly always increases the value of your home, which could be good news if you want to sell or remortgage at a later date.
10 Steps to a Perfect Loft
Step 1: Requirements & Feasibility
Once you have contacted us, we will arrange a FREE, NO OBLIGATION visit to your home to discuss your requirements, find out what is really important to you and run through the best possible solutions. I will calculate the size of your loft and the space/s you require, including the placement of the stairs. I will also be able to provide you with a rough estimate.
Step 2: Quotation
Following our initial discussion and rough estimate, I will prepare and forward a full written quotation and a draft design.
A second FREE, NO OBLIGATION visit can be arranged to discuss these and ensure you are fully satisfied with the choices you have made.
Step 3: Design & ARCHITECTURE
Once you are happy with the quotation & draft design (no hidden extras), you would secure your position within our schedule by paying a 10% deposit. An appointment will then be arranged with our architect to visit your property & carry out a survey, in order to prepare your Planning Permission/Building Control drawings for your approval & sign off.
You will also be presented with your personal Excellence Project File, which includes all your package details and your customer care/support pack.
We will also provide you with a Party Wall Agreement for your neighbours to sign, which you can then store in your project file.
Step 4: Building Regulations
Once you have agreed and signed your drawings they will be sent to the Local Authority for approval. This process is handled entirely by us.
Step 5: Commence Work
Once approval is received, I will arrange a date with you to commence your project.
Before work begins, we will introduce you to our approved scaffolders, who will erect a work and storage platform. As a matter of courtesy, we will also ensure that your neighbours are notified, if necessary.
Step 6: Loft Shell Construction
Phase 1 of all loft conversions is to create the shell of your new room(s). Depending on the size of your project, this would typically involve:
Week 1 & 2
- Steel beams being installed to support the new, independent floor and to support the weight of the roof once certain structural items have been removed.
- New floor joists being fitted
- Any plumbing and electrical work, which needs to be installed under the new flooring
- The Local Authority building control officer will check to ensure that all work is being carried out according to the approved plans and calculations.
- Once building control has approved the work, the new flooring is fixed down.
Week 3 & 4
- Alterations to the roof are made – for example, velux’s are installed, dormers and gables are built.
- New internal walls are built, while our approved roofers complete outside weather protection
- Electricians and plumbers fit any necessary wires and pipes for radiators, switches, sockets etc.
- Insulation is cut and fitted according to approved standards.
- Building control may also wish to re-visit the property to inspect work.
- Plasterboards are cut and fitted to complete the lofts shell.
Step 7: Staircase & Plaster Finish
Any necessary alterations to the new flooring and your original flooring are made to accommodate your new stairwell.
Your new staircase will then be fitted and all new rooms and stairwell are plastered.
Step 8: Second Fix
After sufficient drying time, final fittings are carried out:
- Plumbers will attach radiators, sanitary ware and so on
- Electricians will fit switches, light fittings, smoke detectors etc
- Our craftsmen will fit doors, latches, architraves, skirting, handrails and spindles
Step 9: Authority Approval and Certification
At around week 5/6, the Local Authority Building Control Officer will make his final inspection and report back.
The work is then signed off by the council.
Step 10: Congratulations
CONGRATULATIONS your new dream living space is complete. Your home will have increased in value and your family can now enjoy a better quality of home life.
Upon completion, you will also be presented with a special gift from us to celebrate your new room and to thank you for choosing Excellences Loft Services for your conversion.