Excellence has been specialising in Loft Conversions, Loft Designs & Construction for over 25 years.
Garages might have been designed for storing cars, but in reality they instead end up becoming dusty junk repositories. Therefore, converting it into a place which can be used differently may be an excellent idea. This way you gain extra living space thus enhancing the home’s value.
Transforming your car garage into a good and habitable living space takes much more than merely moving the car out and installing some furniture and a fridge. So, before bringing in a couch, putting down a carpet and installing your TV, why not seek our expert services? Excellence Lofts & Homes has been offering garage conversion services for over 20 years.
Deciding how to use your converted garage will depend not just on your space needs, but also on how the garage space actually lies in relation to the rest of your house. When you come to Excellence Lofts & Homes, we can help and transform that car garage into:
- Extra living room or bedroom
- Guest room
- Kitchen-diner extension
- Utility room or office
- Playroom, Home theatre room or Gaming room
- Family gym
Other possibilities include transforming it into a space for storing unused but valuable items which cannot fit into your normal living space.
Renovating and converting a garage makes lots of sense as already you have a foundation and walls. It’s certainly cheaper than building extensions. However, done unprofessionally, it could be unsafe and even possibly cost you more. That is why we recommend seeking Excellence Lofts & Homes professional services.
10 Steps to a perfect Garage Conversion
Step 1: Your Requirements
Once you have contacted us, we will arrange a FREE, NO OBLIGATION visit to your home to discuss your exact requirements, find out what is really important to you and run through the best possible design options/solutions.
I will calculate the size of your garage, including the space/s you require.
Based on your answers and requirements, I should also be able to provide you with a rough estimate for your project.
Step 2: Quotation
Once you are happy with our initial discussion and rough estimate, I will prepare and forward a full written quotation and a draft design.
A second FREE, NO OBLIGATION visit can be arranged to discuss these and ensure you are fully satisfied with the choices you have made.
Step 3: Design & ARCHITECTURE
Once you are happy with the quotation & design (no hidden extras) and have paid an initial deposit (normally 10%), I will arrange for an architect to visit your property in order to prepare full plans and drawings for your approval.
You will also be presented with your personal Excellence Project Pack, which includes all your package details and your Customer Care/Support Pack.
If required, we will also provide you with a Party Wall Agreement for your neighbours to sign, which you can then store in your project file.
Step 4: Building Regulations & Planning
Once you have agreed and signed your drawings they will be sent to the Local Authority for approval.
Step 5: Commence Work
Once approval is received, I will arrange a date with you to commence your project.
Before work begins, we will introduce you to our approved scaffolders (If required), who will erect a work and storage platform.
As a matter of courtesy, we will also ensure that your neighbours are notified, if necessary.
Step 6: Garage Shell Construction
Phase 1 of all loft conversions is to create the shell of your new room/s. Depending on the size of your project, this would typically involve:
Week 1 & 2
- Steel beams being installed to support the new, independent floor and to support the weight of the roof once certain structural items have been removed.
- New floor joists being fitted
- Any plumbing and electrical work, which needs to be installed under the new flooring
- The Local Authority building control officer will check to ensure that all work is being carried out according to the approved plans and calculations.
- Once building control has approved the work, the new flooring is fixed down.
Week 3 & 4
- Alterations to the roof are made – for example, velux’s are installed, dormers and gables are built.
- New internal walls are built, while our approved roofers complete outside weather protection
- Electricians and plumbers fit any necessary wires and pipes for radiators, switches, sockets etc.
- Insulation is cut and fitted according to approved standards.
- Building control may also wish to re-visit the property to inspect work.
- Plasterboards are cut and fitted to complete the lofts shell.
Step 7: Staircase & Plaster Finish
Any necessary alterations to the new flooring and your original flooring are made to accommodate your new stairwell.
Your new staircase will then be fitted and all new rooms and stairwell are plastered.
Step 8: Second Fix
After sufficient drying time, final fittings are carried out:
- Plumbers will attach radiators, sanitary ware and so on
- Electricians will fit switches, light fittings, smoke detectors etc
- Our craftsmen will fit doors, latches, architraves, skirting, handrails and spindles
Step 9: Authority Approval and Certification
Around week 5/6, the Local Authority Building Control Officer will make his final inspection and report back.
The work is then signed off by the council.
Step 10: Congratulations
CONGRATULATIONS your new dream living space is complete. Your home will have increased in value and your family can now enjoy a better quality of home life.
Upon completion, you will also be presented with a special gift from us to celebrate your new room and to thank you for choosing Excellences Loft Services for your conversion.